MSN Nurse Educator Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need work experience to qualify for admission?

Yes, you must have at least one year of full time clinical, hospital-based RN work experience completed within the last 3 years prior to starting the program.

How many days per week will I attend class?

In general, you will be on campus 1 day per week for class. Occasionally, due to classroom scheduling, students have had to come 2 half days per week in one of the semesters. The specific day of the week classes are held may change each semester. You will register 2-3 months prior to each semester starting which allows enough time to make any needed schedule changes to accommodate classes each semester.

Do I have any options to take online classes?

Yes. Although this is a campus based program, some of the required courses are only offered online so all students will take a few online courses during the program. At times, students in our campus based concentrations may have the option to take one or more of the MSN core courses online also. You will be provided with information each semester at the time of registration about online course availability for the next term. 

Will I have clinical classes to complete?

Clinical fieldwork in the Nurse Educator concentration consists of supervised learning experiences working with preceptors in academic, institutional, and community settings, either in academic areas, clinical education, or community teaching programs. Students will enroll in a nurse educator practicum course in each of their last two semesters in the program and be paired with a preceptor to complete the objectives of the practicum experiences.

What can I do with this MSN concentration?

The Nurse Educator Concentration offers course work and clinical experiences which prepare nurses as nursing faculty or educators in practice settings. The degree prepares nurse educators to mentor current and future nurses and take a leadership role in implementing evidence-based practice. Graduates may work as faculty in baccalaureate, associate degree, or licensed vocational nursing programs or in staff development, community education, or as educators in allied health programs.