SON Writing Center
The School of Nursing has partnered with the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) to provide writing assistance for our students. The volunteer tutors are retired professionals who are willing to give their time and expertise. We track aggregate data on students' writing skills when they seek tutoring assistance.
To make an appointment: Email the School of Nursing about your appointment request with at least a 24-hour Monday-Friday weekday (8:00 am - 4:00pm) advance notice to: email@example.com or call the main school of nursing line at (657) 278-3336. Please include:
- Your preferred tutor
- Your first and second choice of time/date
- Your CSUF email address and CWID in your email and/or voicemail
A confirmation email will be sent to you.
Writing Assistance and Tutoring FAQ
THE TUTORS ARE PREPARED TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR WRITING AND GRAMMAR SKILLS - NOT APA FORMATTING.
- Who can seek writing assistance?
Any student enrolled in one of the nursing programs at CSUF.
- Where does the tutoring take place?
Students and tutors meet in-person in EC-130F (1st Floor)
- Can I just drop in for help?
No, tutoring is by appointment only. Appointments must be scheduled at least 1 business day in advance. DO NOT EXPECT TO SCHEDULE A MONDAY APPOINTMENT OVER THE WEEKEND.
- How long does a tutoring session last?
Tutoring sessions are scheduled in one-hour time slots.
- What do I need to do to prepare for my appointment?
At least 24 hours before your appointment, email the rough draft of your paper to the tutor, along with the assignment rubric, so the tutor can look it over and be prepared to work with you when you meet.
- What should I bring with me to my appointment?
Bring the following to your tutoring appointment: two copies of your rough draft, the course assignment, the course syllabus with expected content and grading rubric for the assignment, any textbooks relevant to the course and/or the assignment, and any research materials relevant to the assignment.
- What happens if something comes up and I cannot keep the appointment?
If you must cancel your appointment, do so at least 24 hours in advance by clicking the MY ENROLLMENTS icon on the calendar. If you must cancel due to a last minute emergency, please cancel online and also contact the tutor and Jennifer Hardison @ 657-278-3217.
Students in all nursing programs will do a significant amount of writing. Writing Assistance is available from the University, College of Health and Human Development, and School of Nursing.
- University Learning Center
- CSUF Pollak Library (visit "services" and "FAQs")
- EPOCHS Writing Support (graduate students)
- Evaluating Websites (CSUF Resource)
- Cornell's Evaluating Websites
- Distinguishing Scholarly Journals from Other Periodicals (Cornell University Resource)
- Turnitin (online grammar check and grading tools)
CSUF School of Nursing students should familiarize themselves with policies related to plagiarism and academic integrity.
Graduate Writing Workshops
The following workshops are available for all students. Please click on the Pre-Survey first and when you finish the survey, you will be given the link to the video workshop. Please download any handouts before watching the video workshops. Once you have watched the workshop, please complete the post-survey. It is extremely important that all students complete the post survey for grant funding.
American Psychological Association (APA) Style is the format used for scholarly writing in all nursing programs. Please familiarize yourself with APA 6th Edition guides because your papers will be held to these standards.
The following presentations are from Writing Workshops conducted by Dr. Ioakim Boutakidis for the Workforce Improvement Project (WIP) in the School of Nursing and are useful resources.
- Crash Course on Grammar, Common Usage and APA Style
- Primer on 6th ed. APA Style
Below are additional resources provided to assist you in using the APA style properly.
- APA for Smarties (ppt)
- APA Jeopardy (ppt)
- APA Videos
- Pollak Library APA Citation Guide
- Sample Paper
- Sample Title Page for CSUF Assignments
- Link to the APA Style Manual
- APA Blog with Important Updates
The following links lead to several resources for learning and using APA Style based on the 6th Edition of the APA Publication Manual: