SON Career Coach
- Resume preparation and cover letters
- Job Search for type of nursing position: Hospital, Private Practice, Urgent Care or Clinic, etc.
- Job Fairs
- Casting a wide net of exposure
- Possibility of Nursing Assistant role
- Utilization of LinkedIn, Indeed and other job sites
- Caution! – Facebook and other social media / Recruiter review
- Job applications, how to apply, and the importance of following directions
- How to develop and indicate your references
- Testing other than NCLEX, assessments
- Interview preparation, mock interviews, phone interviews, and In person interviews
- Following up after interviews
- Job offer discussion
- Licensing and matching documents, I-9s, photo ID, etc.
- Name orientation
A services needs assessment is typically done with the student during the first meeting. Continuation of coaching will be available as needed by phone or email.
Meet our Nursing Career Coach
Ronnie Sue Henderson
I have spent most of my life in Southern California, specifically in Orange County, which I love. I have been witness to the phenomenal growth here and in my most recent experience, healthcare and the related changes.
My last position, prior to retirement and joining OLLI at CSUF, was as a Clinical and Lead Recruiter in the Talent Acquisition division of the Human Resources department at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Newport Beach. I was charged with partnering and recruiting for specific clinical departments, with an emphasis on nursing, throughout the hospital system which included Newport Beach, Hoag Irvine and the Hoag Orthopedic Institute.
I have a special affinity for those who choose a career in nursing. This is a result of conducting thousands of interviews and conversations with nurses at various levels and points in their careers. I am looking forward to coaching the new graduate nurse relative to job search, resume preparation and the critically important interview skills. Their success in obtaining a positive start to a fulfilling nursing career is the goal of my coaching and support of the nursing students at CSUF.
To Schedule a Career Coaching Appointment:
- Review the calendar and find available appointments with Ronnie Henderson.
- Email the School of Nursing about your appointment request with at least a 24-hour Monday - Friday weekday (8:00 am - 4:00pm) advance notice to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
- Service Requested: Career Coach
- Your first and second choice of time/date
- Your CSUF email address and CWID in your email and/or voicemail
HHD Career Center
For more career assistance, including workshops and drop-in hours, please visit the College Career Specialist for the Health and Human Development, Elizabeth Munoz.