Upper Division Transfer BSN Frequently Asked Questions

Please visit the California Board of Registered NursingOpens in new window  website for more information on how to pursue an education in nursing. The website lists all colleges and universitiesOpens in new window in California that offer nursing education.

How do I apply? When is the application open? How frequently are students admitted into the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway? 

Applying to the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway is a two-step process. Prospective applicants must complete a University ApplicationOpens in new window through Cal State Apply between October 1 - November 30. Then, they must complete the School of Nursing application between December 1- January 15.  

Students are admitted into the UDT BSN pathway in the fall semester only. 

Are undocumented students, or DACA students eligible for admission?

Any individual is welcome to apply to CSUF, and admission is open to undocumented students. In order to become a licensed Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of California, a BSN graduate must have either a social security number (SSN) or an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). This means that undocumented students who hold current DACA status can enter our program, graduate, and be eligible for licensure - as long as their DACA remains current. Additionally, undocumented students who meet AB540 can apply for financial aid through the California Dream Application, but students must apply by the annual March 2 deadline. It is important to note that health insurance is required during the duration of this program. There are health insurance options for undocumented students. Please visit the CSUF Titan Dreamers Resource CenterOpens in new window for more information on the support and services that CSUF offers Titan Dreamers.

Am I eligible to apply to the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway with a foreign bachelor's degree?

No. This program is for California transfer students only, and those who have already earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible to apply. If you have a bachelor's degree, please look into our Accelerated BSN pathwayOpens in new window .

Do I need to complete college-level coursework at a regionally accredited institution?

An applicant must complete coursework at a regionally accredited institution. Regionally accreditation is granted to the university - not the specific program/major. To verify the accreditation of a degree, please visit the institution’s website and search for the institution’s accreditation page. Regionally accrediting organizations include: MSCHEOpens in new window NECHEOpens in new window HLCOpens in new window SACSOpens in new window  and WASCOpens in new window . The University cannot accept coursework or a degree completed at a nationally accredited institution.

How many students are admitted into the Upper Division BSN Pathway?

The Pre-Licensure BSN pathways at CSUF have “impacted” status by the CSU Chancellor’s Office. This means that we receive more applications than spaces available and therefore, admission to this pathway is highly competitive. Admission numbers for this pathway will vary from year to year based on space available. It is possible that in some years there may be no seats open.

Do I need to submit my official transcripts to the university and the School of Nursing?

You only need to send ONE set of official transcripts to the CSUF Office of Admissions. All applicants must have one set of official transcript Opens in new window from every college-level institution you have attended sent to the CSUF Office of Admissions, either electronically or by mail. If you have earned AP/IB credit, you must also send your official score report. CSUF currently accepts official electronic college transcripts, or, you may have your official transcripts mailed to the address below. The deadline is January 31.

California State University, Fullerton
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 6900
Fullerton, CA 92834

What are the prerequisite requirements? Can I have prerequisite requirements in-progress during the application process?

Please visit our prerequisite course pageOpens in new window for detailed information on each prerequisite. 

For the Fall 2023 application cycle, applicants may have two prerequisites (only one may be a science prerequisite) in progress during the spring semester of the application period. No prerequisite courses may be completed the summer prior to starting the program.

FALL 2024 UPDATE: Beginning with the Fall 2024 application cycle, we will no longer accept in-progress prerequisite courses. All prerequisites must be completed by the end of Fall 2023 in order to apply and be considered for Fall 2024 admission.

Does prerequisite coursework expire after 5 years? Can I repeat a prerequisite course for higher grade?

The School of Nursing does not have expiration dates on any prerequisite coursework. Please make sure that the course was transferable to the CSU system at the time of completion. Only one repeat is permitted for the following prerequisite courses: Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, and Microbiology, if the grade requirement was not met.

What is the NCLEX pass rate for the CSUF BSN Pre-Licensure Pathways?

The current NCLEX pass rates for our Pre-Licensure BSN pathways at CSUF, and all other pre-licensure nursing programs in the state of California can be found at the California Board of Registered Nursing WebsiteOpens in new window .

How do I know if a course will fulfill the prerequisite requirement?

All applicants are encouraged to review the prerequisite courses pageOpens in new window of our website to learn about what we require and accept. For the CSU Golden Four requirements, applicants are encouraged to use ASSISTOpens in new window . The School of Nursing cannot perform transcript reviews before a student applies for the BSN program.

Can AP credit from high school fulfill the prerequisite requirements?

Advanced Placement (AP) credit may only fulfill non-science prerequisite courses and in some cases, the Chemistry requirement.

Can online courses fulfill the prerequisite requirements?

Yes. We accept online or in-person course formats for all of our prerequisite courses, including labs.

What is the required grade point average for the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway?

An applicant must have a minimum 3.25 GPA on college-level coursework and prerequisite requirements. Due to the nature of the impacted status, an applicant must have a minimum 3.25 cumulative grade point average. There are measures students can take to recover and rehabilitate their cumulative grade point average. One important basic principal: the more credit hours you have acquired, the more credit hours with higher grades it will take to raise your GPA.

  • REPEAT A COURSE(S): If you received a low grade (C- or lower) in any of your coursework, you should consider repeating the course. Please consult with a counselor/advisor at your institution for more information about repeating a course for a higher grade.
  • ENROLL: Enrolling into a 3 unit course and receiving a high grade (A or B), can slowly raise your GPA.

Every institution has different policies. It’s important to discuss all of your options with a counselor or advisor at the institution where you plan to raise your grade point average.

Am I required to take the HESI or TEAS exam prior to applying to the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway?

No. The School of Nursing does not require and will not accept entrance exams, like the HESI or TEAS, for admission into this pathway.

Are letters of recommendation required for the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway?

No. The School of Nursing does not require and will not accept letters of recommendation for admission into the UDT BSN pathway.

How are students chosen for the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway?

Applicants will be reviewed for various application components, as listed on our Selection ProcessOpens in new window page. From there, the top applicants will be invited to interview.

If I am chosen for the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway, but am unable to attend in the fall, can I defer my admission?

No. If a student is accepted into this pathway, they must enroll into the required coursework the first semester. Unfortunately, students are not able to defer admission. If a student is unable to start the pathway, they would need to reapply to the pathway for the following year.

Is there a waitlist for the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway?

No, we do not have a waitlist. If an applicant is not accepted into the pathway, they would need to reapply the following year.

Am I required to complete work and volunteer experience?

An applicant is not required to complete work or volunteer experience.

Are current CSUF students eligible for the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway?

No, current CSUF students are not eligible to apply for the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway. 

There are a variety of options available for nursing education and licensure in the state of California. The California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) provides a list of all Pre-Licensure Nursing programsOpens in new window in the state. Please visit the BRN website for more information.

How long is the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway?

The pathway is completed full-time throughout the course of 3 years (6 semesters). Students are not able to attend the pathway part-time or take a semester off from the pathway due to it being full-time and cohort-style.

When are courses offered during the semester?

Lecture courses are held in the morning or afternoon during the weekday. Clinical hours (lab) will be scheduled according to faculty and hospital availability, any day of the week, and range from 8 to 12 hour shifts. These shifts will either be day-time shifts, or over-night shifts.

Am I able to take a semester off or attend the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway part-time?

No. Students are not able to attend the pathway part-time or take a semester off from the pathway due to it being full-time and cohort-style.

Where will the clinical hours be completed? How many clinical hours are required?

The School of Nursing has many clinical partners. Clinical placement sites will be within a 50 mile radius of the CSUF campus in Fullerton, CA.


NURS 402L - 90 hrs
NURS 403L - 135 hrs
NURS 404L - 90 hrs
NURS 405L - 135 hrs
NURS 406L - 90 hrs
NURS 407L - 90 hrs
NURS 410L - 90 hrs
NURS 411L - 135 hrs
NURS 412L - 180 hrs

What is the cost of the Upper Division Transfer BSN pathway? Is financial aid available?

For tuition fees, the School of Nursing encourages students to review the Tuition and Campus-Based fees stated on the Student Business ServicesOpens in new window website. Please keep in mind that all CSU listed fees are regarded as estimates that are subject to change. The listed fees do not include other expenses (i.e. textbooks). The School of Nursing encourages students to review information regarding school loans and financial aid at the Student Business Services and Financial AidOpens in new window websites.